Mrs. Anna Qualls
Hello! My name is Anna Qualls, and I am thrilled to be SFDA’s new 2nd grade teacher! I am originally from Texas where I completed my Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education and my Master’s in Education with an emphasis in Language and Literacy both at Texas Christian University. I am happy to call Flagstaff home, as I have recently moved to Flagstaff from Fort Worth, Texas after getting married to Mr. Qualls, who has lived in Flagstaff for a few years now. I am so excited to make connections within the Parish and school alike and cannot wait to serve and be a part of this wonderful community. I especially have a passion for creative writing and discovering books that my students feel personally connected to. I can’t to walk this journey with you and your family this school year as we strive together to learn a lot and become more Christ-like!
2nd Grade Highlights
- Reconciliation (Penance) & Spiritual Retreat
- Superkids Language Arts: Phonics, Spelling, Grammar, Decodable Reader, Fluency, and Writing. Students will explore reading using both fiction texts (trade books) and non-fiction (SUPER Magazine and Scholastic Reader.)
- Handwriting: We use print to start the year and students will receive instruction in cursive mid-year.
- Math in Focus: Math instruction with an emphasis on traditional and Singapore strategies. Numeracy to the 1,000’s, place value using base 10 blocks, addition and subtraction with and without regrouping, repeated addition and subtraction (multiplication and division) including arrays, standard and metric measurement, geometry, fractions, time& money. Students will also use mental math strategies throughout the year.
- Specials: PE, Health, Fit Kids, Library, Art, and Technology
- Discipline with a Purpose and Student Learning Expectations